Help JDRF by hosting a Sneaker Campaign
A major part of the JDRF Walk to Cure Diabetes is our sneaker campaigns with various area and national retailers. Our sneaker campaigns have 2 purposes: (1) To spread awareness to the community about juvenile diabetes, JDRF and our mission to find a cure for diabetes and its complications and (2) to raise money to further fund life-saving research.
The retailers and restaurants that participate in our sneaker campaigns are helping JDRF in a small way that makes a huge impact on our mission and the lives of those living with type 1 diabetes. Associates simply ask customers at point-of-purchase to buy a paper sneaker for $1 to help the store support diabetes research. The customer signs his/her name on the sneaker and then the sneakers are displayed throughout the store.
Why Sell Sneakers for a Cure
- Diabetes affects one out of every three families. It is estimated that more than 21 million Americans have this disease.
- Your customers and employees who are affected by diabetes will appreciate your involvement.
- Customers feel good about supporting a store that gives back to its community.
- It’s a natural public relations tool—Sneakers are a great visual.
- Your company can help find a cure for diabetes at no additional cost to your company and boost employee’s morale, with a since of accomplishment.
- In the DFW area, there are 30 children diagnosed each month with juvenile diabetes at Children’s Medical Center Dallas alone.
A person living with juvenile diabetes (Type 1) has to take insulin injections 1 to 4 times per day and test their blood sugar levels 4 to 6 times a day with a finger-prick. Every bite of food has to be weighed and measured for sugar content, carbohydrates, protein and fat and every minute of exercise has to be estimated against his/her blood sugar levels.
Even with careful management, diabetes can cause complications such as blindness, amputation, kidney failure, heart attack and stroke. JDRF raises money to fund research for a cure for diabetes and its complications.
JDRF Greater Dallas is currently looking for retailers in the Dallas, Waco and East Texas areas to partner with for our 2011 Walk to Cure Diabetes Sneaker Campaign.
Do you have a store that would like to help JDRF by selling paper sneakers?
We would LOVE to have you as a partner! To become a Walk partner today or for more information, please contact Dolores Johnson at email@example.com or (214) 764-6770.
To learn more about the JDRF Dallas chapter, visit our JDRF Dallas website!