Walk Talk: Sample Family Team Email/Letter
JDRF’s Walk to Cure Diabetes is quickly approaching and one of the most effective (and easiest) ways to raise money and awareness is to conduct an email/letter-writing campaign. By simply drafting a “Dear Family and Friends” email/letter explaining why you and your family are participating in the JDRF Walk, you can reach your largest audience without even leaving the comfort of your home! This type of campaign is greatly enhanced by the addition of online fundraising through JDRF’s Walk Participant Center. These letters can be your ticket to fundraising success – the average email/letter-writing campaign raises $2,000!
Looking for new ideas or need help writing an email/letter?
We would like to share with you an email that Family Team Co-Chair, Fred Cunha, sent out to his friends and family for this year’s Walk to Cure Diabetes event.
Subject: I want you to want (to help) me
I know what you’re thinking: is it that time of the year again when Fred asks for money?
You got it!
Here’s the deal (in case you’re not familiar with Elise’s story):
Elise is our almost 4-year-old girl who was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes when she was 12 months.
Type 1 diabetes is tough, especially when you’re so little – everyday, Elise gets at least 3 insulin shots, gets her fingers poked a minimum of 5 times and wears a continuous glucose monitor so that we can know her blood sugar at all times.
Type 1 diabetes is a 24/7/365 disease – not only do we check her blood sugar during the day, we also get up at least once a night at around 3 AM to check her blood sugar and give her carbs or insulin, if needed (there are nights where we get up as many as 6 times).
Type 1 diabetes cannot be cured and that’s why we walk every year to raise money to go to fund research that can lead to breakthrough cures/treatments for type 1 diabetes and its complications.
This year, inspired by my good friend Tiago (who, by himself, organized again this year an entire walk in Lisbon, Portugal and was able to get 200 people to walk with him), I’ve raised my goals for the third year in a row: 200 people walking with us and $20,000 in donations.
I realize this is not an easy task but I’m up for the challenge and I hope I can count on you.
Here are 4 ways you can help:
1. Join us on Saturday, September 24, 2011 at 9 AM at Granite Park in Plano, TX for the JDRF (Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation) Walk to Cure Diabetes and invite a friend (you don’t have to raise any money or make a donation in order to walk with us)
2. Go to www.teamelise.com and make a tax-deductible donation (directly through the JDRF website)
3. If you own a business, sign up to be a corporate sponsor for Team Elise or organize a fundraising event to benefit Team Elise (email email@example.com to get more information)
4. Forward this email to all of your friends to help us spread the word
Thank you in advance for your support!
Check out a 34-second video of the Portugal walk:
Interested in more ideas for your email/letter? Be sure to check out the below resources…
- Family Team Letter – Mad Libs
- Newsletter – Brandon’s Buddies
- Newsletter – Marissa’s Mermaids
- Newsletter – Marissa’s Mustangs
- Marissa’s Labor Day Update
- Marissa’s Thank You Letter
To learn more about the JDRF Dallas chapter, visit our JDRF Dallas website!