Diabetes Friendly Recipe: Chocolate Sponge Cake
It’s sweet enough to eat! Today our JDRF Dallas Interns bring you a recipe for Chocolate Sponge Cake with only 8.7g carbohydrates per slice! Make this easy, low-carb meal to go with any family meal or to take to your next pot-luck get-together!
- 4 egg whites
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup cocoa
- Line an 8 inch square or round cake pan with waxed paper.
- Place egg whites, cream of tartar and salt in a mixing bowl, beat with electric mixer until foamy.
- Beat in sugar gradually and continue beating until stiff peaks form.
- Beat in egg yolks and vanilla.
- Sift flour and cocoa together, and then fold lightly into egg mixture.
- Spread batter in prepared pan.
- Bake in 325 degree oven 25-30 minutes or until cake springs back when lightly touched.
- Loosen sides with a sharp knife and turn out immediately onto a paper towel lined cake rack to cool.
Serve with cool whip, berries, chocolate glaze or powdered sugar to make it extra tasty! Enjoy!
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 35 minutes
Nutritional Facts (one serving)
Servings per recipe: 12
Calories from Fat 8
Total Fat 0.8 g
Saturate Fat 0.2 g
Cholesterol 27.6 mg
Sodium 68.1 mg
Potassium 34.4 mg
Total Carbohydrate 8.7 g
Sugars 5.6 g
Protein 2.2 g
This recipe was adapted from the website Food.com.
As we continue to provide you with recipe ideas, we want your participation as well! If you loved this recipe or have a diabetes friendly recipe that your family enjoys, please post in the comments below or email it to email@example.com to share with other type 1 families! You might even see them appear later on in the blog!
To learn more about the JDRF Dallas chapter, visit our JDRF Dallas website!